The Learning Hub
The Learning Hub is a growing collection of free, carefully selected resources and materials available online for learning business analysis concepts at your pace.
Be sure to bookmark this page for future reference.
If you are looking for resources on a specific topic and cannot find it here, feel free to contact me.
Selling Agile to Your Team and Upwards - Todd Little
The Six Blind Men and the Requirements - Karl Wiegers
Big Data and Number Crunchers - Are you a victim? - Jeff Cole
7 Habits of Highly Ineffective People - Process Excellence Network
Beware of the Low Hanging Fruit - It might be rotten - Dan Morris
4 Lessons from the Kodak "Moment of Truth" - Steve Towers
Process Change - Are you Your Own Worst Enemy - Jeff Cole
February Revolution By Gojko Adzic
WHITE PAPERS & ARTICLES
Writing High Quality Requirements By Karl Wiegers
Classifying Customer Input From Jama Blog
Capturing Better Requirements By Chris Wright
Where do Requirements Come from, Mommy? By John Prouty
INCOSE Requirements Management Tools Survey
Volere Requirements Resources
Stakeholder RACI Matrix
ASQ Tally Sheet
SIPOC Template (Excel)
IPOC Template (PowerPoint)
Data Flow Diagram Template (Visio - XML)
Use Case Diagram Template (Visio - XML)
Browse Free Templates From BA Times
Do you have a template to contribute? Contact me.
Free Resources: Use Case Technique
If you come across a link that does not work, just copy the title of the resource directly into your browser and the page should show up in your search results.
If you discover other use case resources we can add to this page, Do send a message.
1. Watch the Modern Analyst Webinar on 'The Use Case Technique' sponsored by RequirementOne:
2. Business Analyst Learnings on Use Cases:
3. Requirements Elicitation with Use Cases by Shane Sendall and Alfred Strohmeier (Software Engineering Course 2001-2002)
Content: Use Case Techniques
Motivation for Use Cases
Use Case Basics
Coming Up with Use Cases (Process)
Use Cases in UML
Use Cases Tips and Tricks
4. Use Case-Based Requirements by Laurie Williams (2004)
5. Requirements Elicitation Techniques by Gregor v. Bochmann, University of Ottawa
Content: Elicitation Techniques
Analysis of Existing Systems
Documentation, Observation, and Ethnography
Joint Application Design (JAD)
6. USE-CASE 2.0: The Guide to Succeeding with Use Cases - Ivar Jacobson, Ian Spence, Kurt Bittner - December 2011
8. Tips for Writing Good Uses Cases - James Heumann, IBM
Free Resources: Stakeholder Analysis Technique
1. Watch a video on Stakeholder Analysis Introduction:
2. Business Analyst Learnings on Stakeholder Analysis & Management:
3. Who really matters? A stakeholder analysis tool From Nicole Kennon, Peter Howden and Meredith Hartley
4. Stakeholder Analysis Guidelines from Kammi Schmeer
If you discover other stakeholder resources we can add to this page, Do send a message.
Free Resources: Workshop Technique
1. Watch a short video on Requirements Workshops from Lisa P:
2. Business Analyst Learnings on Workshops:
3. Mind Tools on Planning a Workshop
4. Introduction to Workshops from Alex Papworth
5. Three Steps to Conducting Requirements Workshops - Mark Thomas
Free Resources: MoSCoW Technique
1. Watch a short video on the MoSCoW Technique by Eugene O'Loughlin:
Free Resources: User Stories Technique
1. Watch a video on User Stories by Mike Cohn:
Also see User Stories FAQ from Mountain Goat Software and User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development by Mike Cohn.
2. Business Analyst Learnings on User Stories: An Overview of User Stories
3. User Stories: An Agile Introduction by Agile Modeling (Scott Ambler)
4. Ten Tips For Writing Great User Stories by Roman Pichler
5. A User Story Primer by Dean Leffingwell with Pete Behrens
Free Resources: Entity Relationship Diagram Technique
1. Watch a video on Entity Relationship Diagrams - Lecture by Dr. Art Langer, author. Analysis & Design of Information Systems (3nd Ed):
2. Business Analyst Learnings on Entity Relationship Diagrams: Entity Relationship Diagram: A Practical Guide
3. Systems Analysis & Design in a Changing World contains an explicit illustration on how to create ERDs. The chapter is available for free here.
Free Resources: Data Flow Diagram Technique
1. Watch a video on Data Flow Diagrams - Lecture by Dr. Art Langer, author. Analysis & Design of Information Systems (3nd Ed).
Free Resources: Business Process Modelling Technique
1. Watch a video on Business Process Modelling - A brief tutorial showing how to model a simple BPMN workflow for a job application process.
2. BPMN and Business Process Management: Introduction to the New Business Process Modeling Standard - Martin Owen and Jog Raj
3. Introduction to BPMN - Stephen A. White, BPM Architect, IBM
4. Process Modelling Notations and Workflow Patterns - Stephen A. White, IBM Corporation
Free Resources: Business Process Management
Here are free training materials on Business Process Management you can download and study on your own:
BPMN By Example
WHITE PAPERS & ARTICLES
Business Process Management: Basics & Demystification
How Should We Implement Processes? From MetaPower Inc
CHECKLISTS & TEMPLATES
Process Documentation Template
Process Excellence Network
BPM Resource Center
Top 12 BPM Bloggers