New business analysts should consider improving in the following areas in order to improve at their work. This article discusses some key areas to focus on:
1. Build a strong foundation of basic BA knowledge: While nobody expects any young and upcoming business analyst to be the master of all, everybody expects the BA to have a strong theoretical foundation of what business analysis is about. BAs should have very clear and comprehensive basic knowledge which can then be reinforced with experience. See A List of Free Business Analyst Training Online
2. Strive towards effective communication: One of the main responsibilities of a business analyst is to act as facilitator between various stakeholders. The quality of the BA’s Interaction with stakeholders can serve as a test of their verbal and nonverbal skills. Strong communication skills are indispensable to successful projects. See Soft Skills for Business Analysts: Communication.
3. Develop strong business acumen: Young BAs should focus on developing a strong & clear understanding of the business as a whole. They should be prepared to do some groundwork to understand the strategic goals and objectives of the organization. See How to Improve Your Domain Knowledge.
4. Harness your analytical skills: The ability to critically analyze the problem area and a visible willingness to learn new things can set the business analyst on the right path towards achieving relevance within a short span of time.
5. Be innovative and concentrate on adding value to the organization. BAs should keenly observe the business environment with the objective of improving existing systems one step at a time. A new BA should constantly be on the lookout for fresh ideas and recommendations for improvement supported by facts and logic. See Creativity, Innovation & The Business Analyst
6. Be Calm: The new BA should remain calm, no matter the situation and avoid getting into arguments with peers. This is particularly essential when relating with stakeholders who in a sense, are the customers.
7. Understand the role of a BA within a Project: A young Business Analyst should be able to understand their role in the project and work within the boundaries of proposing solutions and recommendations for improvement. See The Project Manager and Business Analyst Collaboration
8. Always focus on growing knowledge and skills: Continuous learning should be the mantra. Activities geared towards professional development can have a huge impact on how well and quickly the business analyst can learn and start making a difference. Education of the new BA should be ongoing in order to continuously add value to the business.
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net